Pet friendly caravan park in historic Windeyer, near Mudgee NSW
History of Windeyer
Beginning as a ‘tent town’ gold mining settlement in 1852 and growing to have 8 hotels (not all legitimate), a police station/lock-up, school and post office, Windeyer was once NSW's largest gold mining community.
Located 40 km from Mudgee, it is now mostly known for producing fine wool and race horses. In 1983, (a few days before his 80th birthday) the late Stanton Pilley saw his top bale sell at auction for 3800 cents per kilo, at that time the highest price ever secured on the Australian mainland.
The present Hotel was relocated form Queensland in 1911 and the old Community Hall was built from local materials in 1912. Many bush dances and concerts were held in the old hall over the years. After Barry Stutsel and his family took over the hotel in the early 1970’s, he renamed the hotel from Commercial Hotel to ‘GOLD & FLEECE HOTEL’. He did a lot of work to improve the hall and strengthen the structure which was in a bad way. He also saw the need for accommodation in the area and developed the park, building the amenities block and residence. He planned the gardens and planted many trees which we enjoy today. The old hall has recently been the venue for a couple of weddings and many special parties, great atmosphere and lovely setting.
The sealed road from Windeyer to Mudgee was completed in 1989. For many years there was a Swinging Bridge over Long Creek, which was washed away in the 1990 floods – remains of the bridge posts can still be seen on the Bushlands side of the creek.
The longest drought on record was broken in December 2009.
The historic book ‘Tent Town to Village is available for sale at the shop.